VOICES FOR A
SPORTSPEOPLE AND OCEAN COMMUNITIES COMMIT TO USING THEIR PLATFORM FOR A HEALTHY OCEAN
The ocean nurtures unimaginable biodiversity and produces food, jobs, mineral and energy resources needed for life on our planet to survive and thrive. It is also our greatest ally in the fight against climate change.
As sportspeople and ocean communities we are stepping up to use our platforms for good – championing action for the ocean and sharing knowledge with our communities on the role that a healthy ocean plays in our future. Our future has never been more uncertain, and our voices have never been more needed.
90% of the extra heat we have produced has been absorbed by the ocean. It’s a gigantic carbon sink. But it’s heating up, becoming more acidic and is at a tipping point. The connection between the ocean and climate is clear. To have a healthy planet, we must have a healthy ocean.
From source to sea, all water – rivers, lakes, ocean, and coastal seas plays a key role in combatting the impact of climate change while nurturing countless species and habitats. They are all connected, and their continued health and resilience are interlinked.
Acting at scale, we can secure a healthy and productive ocean that contributes to a resilient, nature-positive future. Utilising the power of our voice, individually and collectively, we commit to start conversations, raise awareness, and share stories to:
- Recognise the key role that science and the ocean-based solutions it informs, play in addressing climate change.
- Share an integrated vision for all water – from source to sea, all water, rivers, lakes, coastal seas, and the ocean are connected, and climate solutions interlinked. We support healthy and productive water that sustains life both above and below the surface.
- Recognise the importance of knowledge held by indigenous peoples and coastal communities to ensure our shared needs and interests are addressed for the potential and survival of the ocean.
- Raise awareness on the need for greater ecosystems protection and importance of ecosystems restoration.
- Support and share knowledge and solutions that work to meet targets set out within SDG14 – life below water and SDG6 – clean water and sanitation by 2030.